Thursday, September 29, 2011

Define Away...

Teachers have a language all their own.  We sit around and discuss scores from tests made up of various letters of the alphabet, spout percentages and numbers that hold great store to the listener, and use a lexicon all our own.  If you are not on the inside, it may sound like Greek.  However, if you are on the inside, sometimes it is still Greek. Thus, we need definitions.

I am working on creating definitions for my dissertation topic.  I think they are all self-explanatory, but today I was reminded that was not the case.  I am presenting tomorrow at the state social studies conference on the importance of accountability in assisting students reach higher levels of academic achievement on the standardized end-of-course tests.  I'm basically explaining my hopeful dissertation topic to a much larger, more diverse audience than when I presented it to the department heads of my school. At the pre-conference mixer, a fellow presenter asked me what my workshop was on and I responded accountability.  What do you mean, he asked.  It's a modified version of Gagne's Instructional design model where I have created a grid to allow teachers to track their assessments.  Like tests, he said.  No... more like formative assessments as well as summative assessments.  Blank look...  Embedded assessments, I modified.  Nothing...  Ummm...  Okay, maybe these terms really do need defining.

3 comments:

  1. Great! I look forward to hearing about your presentation today! I hope that your dismal results on the first assessment didn't diminish your spirit (but from what I have learned of you so far I think it will compel you to find out why). With regard to your colleague with the blank stare, we certainly can't assume anything with regard to others' knowledge!! I hope you decided to modify your presentation to include those definitions you thought were common knowledge so that you can get everyone on the same page prior to pitching your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The presentation went well. The assessment grid I created for US History has been a hit with anyone that sees it. It breaks down the support document published by the State department of education into easily identifiable pieces and adds a way to track what assessments are being used by the teachers. I have already received e-mails asking for a copy. I also had a couple of district office level people ask if I was available to host professional development. What a great compliment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS a great compliment! Who knows Tracy, this could be your last year in the classroom! If so, NEVER forget where you came from. It's mind boggling to me how so many times educators quickly forget all the hard work that goes into just one day of teaching. Again congrats on a great presentation! ;)

    ReplyDelete